Have your home assessed to determine what dangers exist that make it susceptible to being lost during a wildfire. Call you local fire district to schedule a wildfire mitigation assessment.
- Basalt & Rural Fire Protection District | 704-0675 | www.basaltfire.org
- Carbondale & Rural Fire Protection District | 963-2491 | www.carbondalefire.org
- Snowmass Wildcat Fire Protection District | 923-2212 | www.swfpd.com
- City of Aspen Wildfire Mitigation Program | 920-5199 | aspenpitkin.com
- Aspen Fire Protection District | 925-5532 | www.aspenfire.com (not currently offering assessments)
Make immediate changes identified during your home assessment to create a defensible space around your home. Hire one of the companies listed below to clear hazardous vegetation and/or trees from your property. You may also wish to clear vegetation on your own and hire a company to chip debris or take it to the Pitkin County Landfill and dispose of for $15/cubic yard.
Take it one step further and create a home improvement plan that incorporates firewise landscaping and building materials.
- Aspen Tree Service | 963-3070
- Earth Wise | 928-8480
- Aspen Arbor Care | 379-7730
- A Cut Above | 453-9154
- Brush Creek Landscaping | 446-7149
- High Rise Tree Care | 984-0202
- Ken Tacker | 309-3972
- ABC Tree Care | 625-3012
- James Jackson | 379-0200
- Additional companies can be found in your local yellow pages.
Maintaining your newly created defensible space from year to year is crucial to protecting your home against the threat of wildfire. Learn everything you need to know about maintaining a firewise home with the following resources.
- Firewise Communities – firewise.org
- Aspen Fire Marshall’s Office – aspenfire.com
- Colorado State University – csfs.colostate.edu